"The future is as bright as your faith." -Thomas S. Monson

Saturday, February 6, 2010

sleeping all night?!

(I tried to get a pic of Alexa asleep during her nap, but I snunk into her room to find her smiling and playing with her blanky!)

For the last three weeks Alexa has slept 10-11 hours each night! I'm loving it! It started with training her to put her self to sleep at night and for naps. For the last few months, if she was tired enough, I could just lay her in her crib and she go to sleep for naps. I felt like it was time to let her learn to do this every time. Especially since she is getting too heavy to bounce/rock to sleep every time.

So, the first night, we did a short and familiar bedtime routine and I laid her down and she cried for ten minutes. The second night she only cried 5 minutes, and since then, she most often won't cry at all or will let out just a few whimpers. I was glad she got used to it so quick!

After she was putting herself to sleep I decided to work on eliminating middle-of-the-night feedings. She usually would only wake once between 2 and 4. So one night I decided I had to let her cry-it-out if she woke. Unexpectedly she woke around 12 but I decided to go forward with my plan. Luckily she only cried eight minutes. However, she also woke around 4 still. This time she cried about 30 minutes, but is was off and on and not screaming, so that was good. I was happy to see that in the morning she still smiled at me!

Since that first night, she has slept 10 to 12 hours!!! Hooray! I was also so happy that she fell asleep at a friends house last night in like two seconds in her car seat! This is great news! I'm still undecided if I should have trained her sooner. I just felt like she was ready at this time. I really didn't mind the late-night feedings, especially since I'm lucky enough to be at home during the day and could nap if I wanted to. But, a full night of sleep is better than I remembered it! Thanks Alexa!

7 comments:

The Smiths said...

Congratulations! That is great news- and she adjusted so quickly.

Angie&Blake said...

We are trying it now a little later then we should of forsure but living with fam we tried hard not letting him cry long.... So wish us luck :( I hate hearing him cry it's so hard but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Ashley said...

You're an inspiration! Way to go 'Lexa!

Nicole and Dave said...

yay! that's awesome news. it's hard to let them cry sometimes, but it's kind of worth it for a few days if it means they (and you) will get a good nights' sleep :).

Gina and Jon said...

Yeah!! That is so nice! You are making me feel spoiled however cause I have been getting full nights for some time now.

Ben and Jackie said...

So, after reading your blog I decided it's probably time for me to get a full nights rest too. Jovi usually gets up at least once to eat. Anyways, I gave it a shot last night and after her crying an hour I caved and just fed her. I don't know how you did it. I hope Jovi picks up on it quick like your little Alexa. Soon enough...,but congrats to Alexa! That must be so nice.=)

linds, Seth and Rae said...

Oh my, a full nights sleep is the best thing in the world! Cute blog:) and I really like the crafts you put on the side! Really cute ideas