"The future is as bright as your faith." -Thomas S. Monson

Sunday, July 24, 2011

BYU Graduation!

I finished my last class for my bachelor degree in May thanks to BYU Independent Study and Portland Community College! I majored in Home and Family Living with a Management minor. I am so happy to be done! A big thanks to my mom for keeping me going with my last few classes!

The official graduation will be August 12. I wish I could be there to walk but that trip is not in the budget :) We did take a few pictures in June for posterity's sake! I'm so grateful for all that I've learned! It took me a while but I had amazing experiences!

I started at Dixie State in 2002 planning on becoming an Echo-cardiologist. I changed my mind after a year and then earned an Associate of Science degree in Business Administration in 2004. I then moved to Provo and attended Utah Valley University for one term. Then I went on an 18-month church mission to Washington DC North from June 2005 to November 2006. I came back to attend Brigham Young University hoping to study Information Systems. I did one term of that and changed my mind, ugh.

I met Steve after that term, and got married shortly thereafter. I knew we'd be moving away for Steve to attend Dental School the following year, so I did my best to find which program I could graduate the soonest. I then studied Home and Family Living for the next year, which I loved, and ended up with only five classes left to take after we moved. I had strategically left classes for the end that were also available on BYU Independent Study. After we moved to Portland it took me two years to do three classes via Independent Study, it was really hard for me! Finally, I finished up my last two classes at Portland Community College this past Spring term, those ones were super easy and fun.

So, all in all, I had a lot of wonderful experiences as I gained an education from 2002 to 2011! Phew!



7 comments:

Marissa said...

I'm so glad you got a picture of yourself in cap and gown at BYU! (Did you do that on your most recent Utah trip?? Good idea!!)

Dan Flake Family said...

YaY!! You did it. I'm so proud of you to finally make it. You'll never be disappointed that you finished. It took me six years, being married, and having you before I finally graduated. Thanks for changing my blog background and keeping me updated. Love ya.

Tara said...

Way to go Danielle! I think that is a great idea to take pictures! And I bet you didn't have to stand in line to wait your turn! :)

Kristin said...

Wow! Danielle that is so awesome! I had no idea you were working on that. You are amazing!!! CONGRATULATIONS!

Danette said...

Congrats!

lindsey said...

Yes! Go you! That is seriously so awesome!

Ashley said...

Congratulations!!! Thanks for providing motivation for me to finish!