"The future is as bright as your faith." -Thomas S. Monson

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Lock Up Your Toilet Bowl Cleaner!

This morning I was cleaning the main bathroom and when I was done with the cleaners I set them on top of my dresser to clean our master bathroom next. Not two minutes later, Alexa had used a stool to grab the toilet bowl cleaner, took the lid off (which was closed, she somehow opened it even though it has the childproof cap), and squirted it all over my bedroom carpet! I think I kept calm on the outside, but inside I freaked. The carpet had immediately disintegrated. I checked Alexa for any that might have got on her. Luckily she didn't get any herself and she didn't drink any. I can't even imagine what that stuff would have done to her skin or insides. I feel so so thankful that Alexa was fine! The carpet is going to have to be replaced, but not a big deal compared to what could have happened.

I'm not proud of this post but I just wanted to warn people to hide and lock up their cleaners. (We do keep our cleaners on the highest shelf in our house.) Alexa basically hasn't done any trouble making up to this point so I wasn't as cautious as I should have been. I will not be underestimating Alexa any more and will be doing some more child proofing around here. I will also be doing some research on getting safer cleaners.




8 comments:

Megan said...

Oh my goodness! That is so scary! I am so happy she didn't drink any!

Danette said...

Oh my! I'm glad she didn't decide to taste it. I had no idea it could do something like that! Thanks for sharing!

Cami and Mitch said...

Scary! Glad she is ok. I have had a few of those near miss situations, where you are so thankful things weren't worse. It is hard when they get older and learn things you didn't expect. Thinking of that...I need to move Cole's crib mattress down :)

Brittny said...

Oh wow! Glad Alexa is ok. I'm sorry that the carpets have to be replaced, that's a bummer. I guess these little kiddos are worth it, right?:)

Marissa said...

What??? It disintegrated the carpet?? That is some powerful stuff. Wow. I for sure need to make sure our stuff is harder to get to. Thanks for posting.

Dan Flake Family said...

What brand was the cleaner that you used?

I'm sure glad that she is fine. We all need to do a better job of keeping cleaners put away.
Thanks!

v a n e s s a said...

woah, that is scary and so lucky. good job for not freaking out cause i'm sure i would have. i am really enjoying this time that my baby can barely roll over. toddler-dom is a precarious place.

Andrea said...

I had no idea cleaner could do that much damage, thinking of what could have happened, you are watched and blessed! I'll have to remember this for future babies :) Thanks for sharing! Sorry about the carpet.