"The future is as bright as your faith." -Thomas S. Monson

Monday, August 27, 2012

Bennett's Arrival

Here's the birth story if you're interested in reading it. I tried to keep it short... The birth ended up being a lot different than I had planned in my mind! But it was all worth it!

Steve and I arrived at the hospital Saturday morning at 9:00. We got all checked in and I was hooked up to the pitocin by 10:15am. My contractions had already been very regular and close together but not painful. By 3:30pm I was dilated to a 4 and the contractions were pretty painful. At 3:39 my doctor broke my water and the contractions really got painful so I requested the epidural. (With Alexa I already had my epidural before they broke my water so it was interesting to feel that part.)

So the contractions were quickly getting more painful and I had been told that I could expect the epidural around 4:10pm because the anesthesiologist was in an appendectomy. But, it ended up that I had to wait over an hour and a half until he came after 5:25pm for the epidural. Also important to know for later, during this time I really had to pee but they told me to wait because we kept thinking the anesthesiologist was coming any minute... (Also, I had already been feeling much more painful contractions than I ever felt with Alexa.)

At 5:37pm, right after the epidural, they checked me and I was dilated to a 5. They also hooked me up to a catheter finally to empty my bladder. So, I was really hoping that the epidural would be working by then... I started feeling my legs go numb but I could tell my left side was more numb than my right. I also realized that I could definitely still feel the contractions, and they were much more sharp... and also only on my right side. By this point I thought I was dying, I really thought I would be feeling nothing by now, instead with every contraction I would just loudly repeat "so sharp, so sharp, so sharp"...

Luckily my doctor came in around 5:50pm and quickly decided to check my dilation. I couldn't believe it but she said "You are ready, you are having this baby right now!" So, I had dilated from a 5 to a 10 in like twelve minutes... They realized it was because my bladder had been so full and when they emptied it, it allowed baby's head to shoot right down! And it was no wonder that the contractions still felt so sharp :)

So, everything got really crazy for a few minutes with nurses rushing around preparing for the delivery. I was still really feeling the contractions on my right side and was ready to push as soon as the doctor was ready to catch the baby! I pushed really hard with two contractions (I could feel him coming out, which was awesome) and baby Bennett was out at 5:59pm!! They laid him on my chest and I was in heaven!

6 comments:

Ty and Meg said...

Oh my gosh! That is crazy. Isn't it funny how births NEVER go as planned. :) That is quite a story! I am so glad everything worked out and you got a beautiful healthy baby. I so wish I was there to hold him. Missing you so much after reading this! I love his name by the way. Keep the pictures coming! xoxo

kaila sue said...

Quite the birth Bennett! So glad you all are doing good!

Kris and MaLanie said...

Congratulations Danielle! I'm sorry that things didn't go according to plan, but glad Bennett is healthy. Good luck adjusting to being a mother of two! You'll do great!

Katie Apker said...

woohoo@ Fabulous job Danielle!! Can't wait to see pictures!!

Tara said...

Great story! He came super fast there at the end! Glad everything went well. We miss you guys! Wish we could meet him! Addy was super excited to see the pictures of Alexa with him.

Tannie Datwyler said...

That's an awesome story!! I had a weird epidural like that with Linus in which I could feel the pain all on one side, and none on the other. So I had to get my epidural twice. The second time it worked though. That's nuts about the bladder thing, but totally makes sense.